Don’t have a rice cooker but want to make a large batch of rice? What about using your slow cooker to make rice? See that white fluffy rice? Perfect and delicious rice?
Yes, that came from my SLOW COOKER – it’s slow cooker rice! I’m not kidding. I ended up making a second batch just to make sure it wasn’t some random cooking fluke.
Here’s how to make slow cooker rice (crock pot rice) and save time in the kitchen.
Can you make rice in a slow cooker? Yes!
The ingredients are so few but I’ll list them anyway.
After two batches, I was able to bag up FOUR quart size bags of rice for the freezer. I let it cool in a dish before putting in the bags, and flattened them out for easy storage.
I did 2 batches using my Seal-a-Meal and it really smooshed the rice together, so I am hoping that after thawing, it ‘bounces back’ when I let air in and heat.
The above bags are just freezer storage bags. For me, this kitchen hack has saved so much time and helped to stretch my ingredients to last longer since I’m pre-portioning!
*Yes, after thawing in the fridge and reheating with a little water, it’s perfect! I do this often for a quick stir-fry or to have with cubed steak and gravy. Delicious!
- Rice - Converted is the best. I bought a 5lb. bag of Uncle Ben's white rice just for this 'experiment'
- Water - The ratio is 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water. MAKE SURE YOU MEASURE CORRECTLY, for extra flavor, consider using chicken or even beef stock!
- Butter or cooking spray to grease the inside of the crock pot/slow cooker
- Optional - salt and pepper
- Butter or spray the inside of your crock pot/slow cooker.
- Add the water and rice and stir.
- Place lid on top, and cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours. I checked mine probably 3 times, each time giving it all a good stir. You have to keep an eye on this, so this isn't a good one to leave alone. Salt and pepper to taste when rice is fluffy and water is absorbed. Try not to dig in and eat giant spoonfuls and claim it's 'taste-testing'.
I would absolutely recommend you make the rice to keep on hand and then make this Crock Pot Cubed Steak and Gravy. This is hands-down one of my favorite ways to enjoy a big bowl of rice. It’s so comforting and so easy to make!
Check out some other great recipes like how to make your own dog treats with coconut oil / peanut butter / banana, or how to make your own Doritos style chips!
Or, if you are in the mood to get creative, try one of these fun DIY beauty projects!