You know that feeling when you LOVE bread but you also want to be skinny(er)? That feeling haunted me when I started watching my carbs and giving the keto lifestyle a try… How could I live without bread? Guess what? I realized that you can have your keto and eat “bread” too! I was so happy to discover that there was such a thing as keto bagels that have a consistency and flavor that is pretty close to that of “real” bread. I toyed around until I found a recipe that I loved and here it is. Top them with everything bagel seasoning (or just leave them plain and be sad) and you have an amazing bread option for eggs, lunch meat, or just slathered in butter.
You could even leave these plain and top them with your favorite pizza toppings for pizza bagels! Those would make a great lunch and you could play around to make different kinds: traditional (pepperoni and cheese), buffalo chicken, pesto and chicken, shredded bbq pork… the possibilities are endless and you can be as creative as you want if you keep it keto-friendly.
- 1 cup Almond flour
- 1-2 T. Coconut flour
- 2 cups Shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz. Cream cheese
- 2 eggs
- Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Flax seed- optional
- Preheat oven to 350?.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
- Place cream cheese and shredded mozzarella in a microwave safe bowl and heat for one minute, stir and repeat in 30 second increments until melted but not rubbery.
- Quickly stir in egg and almond flour. Also, stir in flaxseed if you are using it, it gives a bit more nutty taste, texture, and adds fiber and omega-3’s
- Then stir in just enough coconut flour, a little at a time, until the dough has a bread dough like consistency.
- Flour (coconut) your hands lightly and pull off a blob of dough, making them whatever size you like- from mini to jumbo. Pull it into a bagel shape, pressing the ends together, place on prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat until you have used up all the dough.
- Sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
I love to eat my bagels just plain with butter in the morning but they also make an amazing ham and cheese sandwich too! If you like these, the recipe is similar to the Fathead Cheese “Breadsticks” I made. Give those a try to for a “bread” fix!