How many times have you opened the pantry and then the freezer and gone back to the pantry trying to piece together a meal because it’s just before you go grocery shopping and you are running low on just about everything? All the time, right? I remember growing up, we’d have leftover nights to clean out the fridge. We’d have a hodge podge of whatever remnants we could find in the pantry, fridge, and freezer. Mac and cheese with meatballs and some fruit. Sandwiches and soup. A little of this, a little of that, and all kid-approved. Well, if you didn’t approve then you just didn’t eat – anyone else have a mom who was like that? Ahem, of course I speak from experience.
It’s basically how us moms meal plan – it needs to be quick, it needs to be healthy, it needs to fill them up and it needs to be kid-approved.
Farm Rich lets me stock my freezer with great products like their Italian Style Meatballs and Turkey Meatballs, which I can use in a variety of meals whenever I need them. They can be cooked through in the oven, on the stovetop, or even in the microwave (which we did for this recipe). Considering the holidays and how crazy things are right now with getting our shopping done, family dinners and gift exchanges, trying to keep the house clean, there’s nothing I need more than a FAST lunch or dinner. That’s why when Farm Rich asked me to come up with a fun recipe using their Meatballs, I accepted the challenge to partner with them and get into the kitchen!
There really is nothing better than opening the freezer and seeing a bag of Farm Rich Meatballs waiting because now dinner is saved!
We got into the kitchen and got creative on this family friendly (kids can help!) recipe that takes Farm Rich Turkey Meatballs and transforms them into the always-a-hit “sloppy joe”. However this time, we used French bread slices to make mini pizzas! Seriously, I thought it was a bit too “outside the box” but the kids loved it!
To make your own Sloppy Meatball French Bread Pizzas, you will need just a few ingredients and not even 30 minutes.
- 1 bag of Farm Rich Meatballs, Italian Style or Turkey
- 1 can of favorite 'sloppy joe' sauce, or use homemade
- 1 loaf of French bread, sliced evenly, about 1/2 inch thick
- Shredded cheese of choice, or whatever's on hand
- Preheat your oven to 425*
- While the oven preheats, follow the package instructions to cook the meatballs in the microwave
- Slice your French bread and toast in the oven until golden brown
- Once meatballs are cooked thoroughly (should reach 165 internal temperature), chop them up
- Add 'sloppy' sauce to a pot over medium heat, add chopped meatballs and stir until heated through
- Top the bread slices with the sloppy meatball mixture
- Top with cheese and bake until cheese is melted, just a couple of minutes
- Let cool before enjoying!
As you can see, this is a quick meal you can make when running around for the holidays, or even serve at the kids’ table while everyone else enjoys something more traditional for Christmas.
If you know me (or my kids), you know we secretly love the “sample ladies” at our favorite grocery stores. Between 12/14 and 12/18 and again on 12/28, the Farm Rich Meatball Truck Tour will be stopping at Greater Dayton Walmart stores (click the link to find a store near you)! At each stop, there will, of course, be free samples, but also recipe ideas and inspiration to help busy shoppers during the holiday season. Be sure to try the Italian Style Meatballs, they are my favorite and so juicy and perfectly bite-sized for appetizers!
Visit bit.ly/FarmRichMeatballTour for more information on the tour and when it’s coming near you!