The other day, our dinner plans with friends at their home was cancelled and I was in a pinch to come up with dinner. That’s when these mini Mexican pies came to our rescue! If you’re a fan of Mexican dishes, you probably already have all of the necessary ingredients on hand!
This is a very flexible dish, one that you can make more homemade, or as convenient as possible with canned goods. With my homemade taco seasoning, I’d like to think this is partly homemade ;).
This is a recipe that you can grab the kiddos and get them involved. The only part mom needs to really do is the oven – it’s a great “build your own” dish if you would like. I chose ingredients I had on hand. Adding cream cheese and salsa to the black bean mixture would be yummy as well.
- 1 Can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Small Can Chopped Green Chilies
- 1 Can Refried Beans
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese, plus additional for topping
- 1/2 Packet of Taco Seasoning, I used 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp cayenne and 1 tsp onion powder
- 24 small corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, Line cookie pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil and place baking cooling rack on top, spray with butter spray. (The cooling rack allows the pies to cook on all sides, no soggy bottoms!)
- In a large bowl, mix the black beans, chilies, cheddar cheese and taco seasoning until well blended. Open the can of refried beans and mix a bit in the can.
- Start the layering: Spread 2 Tbsp refried beans on 1st tortilla, press another tortilla on top gently, place 2 Tbsp black bean mixture and spread around, press another tortilla on top gently, spread 2 Tbsp refried beans on top and sprinkle some cheddar cheese. Place on baking rack.