For just a few days shy of one solid month, we (hubs and I), have been enjoying a low carb lifestyle (aka the keto diet). This means we get to enjoy deliciousness like this low carb keto fathead dough we’ve used for pizza (yes, it’s fathead pizza dough you’ve heard about!), but are now making low carb keto “fathead” breadsticks (cheese sticks) for dipping! Basically, fathead cheese sticks with pizza sauce for dipping – because you deserve good pizza! I don’t want to call it a diet because it’s not – it needs to be a whole life kind of eating change. We started mainly to lose weight, which we’ve done. He’s down almost 20 lbs already and I’m just under 15 lbs lost thanks to “female hormonal fluctuations” that you know exactly what I’m talking about and are super irritating but I digress.
This dough is amazing, and really quite simple to make up. The first time I made it I was very skeptical. How can these ingredients come together to form a DOUGH and then roll out and bake up to something that’s edible? Well, it does, and it’s amazing.
With this new way of eating, we go through a lot of eggs every week. Eggs for breakfast, even for dinner if we can’t think of anything else. We “hard boil” them in the Instant Pot and scramble the most, but we always make sure we have one perfect egg to make this dough. It’s the binding agent and adds protein (and if following a keto way of eating, you probably eat a lot of eggs as well). I’m not an egg snob, I’ll buy whatever brand and quantity I think we need (and I’m always wrong, we always need more), but after trying eggs from the happy egg co., I just might become brand particular!
the happy egg co.eggs are beautiful brown eggs, free of hormones, from hens that are free to roam on family farms. There are a number of people who are unaware of the differences between free range hens vs cage free. If it’s going into your own body – shouldn’t you know or read up on this?
I’m going to go ahead and share this recipe with you along with a few photos I took while making it. Make sure to note that when I add the egg to the cheese and almond flour dough, it’s such a beautiful golden color! It looks like I got this egg fresh from a hen in my backyard!
- 1 3/4 cups of shreddded mozzarella cheese, I used an Italian blend for this dough, mozzarella is the most popular choice
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 the happy egg co. egg
- Seasonings - garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and my personal favorite addition for some kick is "Extra Spicy" salt-free Mrs. Dash
- Preheat your oven to 425*.
- Begin by mixing the shredded cheese, cream cheese, and seasonings in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave the cheese for 30 seconds, stir, and microwave again but for 1 full minute. The mixture will be very hot, so be careful when moving the bowl.
- Add the almond flour and mix gently.
- Add the egg and mix gently. I use the back of a spoon or fork to kind of "mash" everything together so it's blended well.
- Once the dough has formed, place on to a large piece of parchment paper.
- Place another sheet of parchment paper on top and using a rolling pin, roll the dough so it's thin and if possible, a rectangle. The shape really doesn't matter, but try to get it about 1/4 of an inch thick. Remove the top piece of parchment paper.
- Place the dough and bottom layer of parchment paper onto a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until brown.
- At this point, you can either flip it over and bake for a couple more minutes or move on.
- Either way, sprinkle some more cheese on top and bake until the cheese is melted, just a few minutes.
- Once you let this cool, use a pizza cutter to cut into strips, little squares, or whatever kind of shape you like.
- Serve with a low carb pizza sauce or marinara for dipping.
Even the kids loved these “cheese sticks”, but that could have been because they love to dip things! You could pair this with a nice salad or some “zoodles” for a mock pasta and breadstick meal! We love this dough and love that it only uses one egg for that protein boost.
If you would like to try the happy egg co. eggs, check at Safeway, Albertson’s, Kroger, Sams and Walmart. To find your local retailer, use the happy egg co. store locator.