Sharing is caring!
My mom used to make meringues. A delicate process, often narrated by a few curse words in her usual manner, yielded these little melt-in-your-mouth amazingness. There’s a little plastic tub of them, regular sized and mini, that you can purchase at Trader Joe’s, and every time I do, I’m taken back to a kitchen, with the mixer going, with my mom there. These Firecracker Meringue Cookies are the perfect way to relive those memories and celebrate the Fourth of July.
- 3 Egg Whites, Room Temperature
- ¾ Cup Sugar
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Cream of Tartar
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- Red Candy Sprinkles
- Blue Candy Sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Continue to beat on medium while adding in cream of tartar, salt and vanilla extract.
- Increase speed to high and beat until stiff peak form and sugar has dissolved completely.
- Using a piping bag or a sandwich bag with a corner cut off, pipe 1-inch diameter circles onto parchment paper.
- Sprinkle with red and blue sprinkles and bake for 40 minutes or until cookies are dry to the touch and sound hollow when tapped on. Turn off heat and allow to rest for 1 hour inside the oven before serving.
- *If cookies begin to brown to quickly, reduce heat to 225 degrees and continue to bake.
Yields: 2 dozen
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on Instagram