From rumors that restaurant and frozen chicken nuggets are made from disgusting ingredients, I decided that it would be easy to make my own chicken nuggets. Sometimes we can over complicate things – and chicken nuggets are really quite simple. They are just chunks of chicken, breaded and cooked.
This recipe can be dressed up a bit as well – you can add seasonings, fry them instead of baking, dip them in an egg mixture first (helps the breading to stick), use regular breadcrumbs, etc. I love flexible recipes that I can modify for my tastes. But for this recipe, and the dinner I made you see in the photos, we went simple!
Apparently when panko is being baked, they pass an electric current through the dough. I guess you could say it’s an electrified chicken nugget if you decide to use panko! I find panko is crunchier and gives a nice texture to the chicken nuggets. Also, I place the chicken nuggets on a baking cooling rack that is on top of my cookie pan, so that all sides are cooked and you’re not stuck with a soggy bottom. You can also place the chicken nuggets directly on a cookie pan, but you will need to turn them halfway through cooking.
- 2 Cups Panko Breadcrumbs
- 2 Chicken Breasts, cubed
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, Line cookie pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil and place baking cooling rack on top, spray with butter spray.
- Pour panko breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl and mix in black pepper.
- Dip chicken cubes in the panko breadcrumbs and make sure they are thoroughly coated.
- Place each chicken cube on the cookie cooling rack.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until chicken is completed.
Enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce and side dish (macaroni & cheese here!).