Chocolate cake pops are not a difficult treat to make, and are such a fun twist on having a slice of cake. You don’t have to get crazy with decorations either, so these are easy enough for any person regardless of baking talent. If you can bake a cake from a box, you can turn it into delicious cake pops!
While this recipe is for chocolate, you can easy swap for other cake flavors and frosting flavors. Maybe funfetti cake with vanilla frosting? Or strawberry cake and frosting? Be creative and have fun!
You know, this is a fun recipe for kids to help with! Have everyone wash their hands really well and you have cake crumbling helpers! Make sure the cake is completely cool before letting them help. Or, they can help with rolling the cake pops in sprinkles later on!
- Box cake mix - Chocolate cake in this case
- Container of frosting that compliments the cake (chocolate)
- Food processor, or you could crumble the cake by hand
- Lollipop sticks
- Almond bark
- Shoe box with holes poked in it
- Prepare the cake as directed on the back of the box, in a 9 x 13 pan
- Once the cake is baked and cooled, put half of the cake in the food processor until it is evenly crumbled.
- Put the crumbled cake in a large mixing bowl and do the same with the second half of the cake.
- Mix in half of the container of frosting until the cake and frosting are evenly combined.
- Take a large spoon full of the mixture and roll in your hands until no cracks appear and it feels firm and evenly shaped.
- Place cake pop on a cookie sheet and do this with the remainder of the mixture.
- Once you have all of your cake pops formed, put them in the fridge for at least 4 hours (you could also keep them in the freezer for a few days until you are ready to dip. Just be sure to transfer the cake pops from the freezer to the fridge for a couple of hours prior to dipping).
- When you are ready to dip the cake pops, melt your almond bark in a bowl as instructed (1 minute in the microwave, stir, 30 seconds in the microwave, stir, until it is melted and smooth)
- Dip your lollipop sticks in the melted almond bark about one inch and let them cool.
- Once the sticks are dipped and cooled you are ready to dip the cake pops.
- Keep your cake pops in the refrigerator and only take out a few at a time.
- Insert the lollipop stick into the cake pop about a 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch.
- Dip the cake pop into the melted almond bark (I used a spoon to help ensure it was evenly coated)
- Roll in sprinkles or sugar if desired.
- Place the cake pop upright in your shoebox holder to cool/harden.
- Once the almond bark has hardened they are ready to eat.
- Can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months