We’ve played with a lot of play doughs over the years (it’s great for fine motor skills and building strong hand muscles!) but there’s always new ways to make it more fun and enjoyable.
With fall coming, it makes perfect sense to take our regular play dough to a new level by making it smell like fall pumpkins!
This is an easy DIY play dough recipe that you’ll enjoy making for years to come.
Check out the cookie cutters at your local craft store and look for pumpkin and leaf shapes to really round out this fall-themed activity!
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- ¼ cup of salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons of cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 cup boiling water
- Red, yellow food coloring
- 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice
- Mixing bowl
- Spoons for mixing
1. Bring your water to a boil. 2-3 minutes in the microwave (use a microwave safe measuring cup) will work great.
2. Combine all ingredients (except for the food coloring) into a bowl.
3. Mix the ingredients well until a soft paste forms. If the mixture is sticky, add a little flour and continue to knead until the consistency is right.
4. Add equal drops of red and yellow food coloring. Continue kneading until the colors are mixed and an orange hue is developed. Add additional drops of color t darken the dough if you wish.
5. You can now sprinkle in additional pumpkin spice if you want the dough to have a stronger smell. If you like it as it is, it is now ready to be enjoyed!
This pumpkin play dough can be enjoyed for weeks. To store it, keep it in an air tight container or zip up plastic bag.