I don’t think there’s been a summer where we haven’t pulled out the chalk to practically cover the sidewalk in its colors. At first there were just scribbles as the kids learned how to draw lines and shapes. Over the years, the chalk drawings have evolved and now include shapes, names, people, flowers, hop scotch and more. Now they try to trace each other as they lay on the sidewalk (like a crime scene, you know what I mean) and wipe their chalky hands all over their clothes.
Sidewalk chalk is such an easy outdoor activity for kids, and with this recipe, you can keep the ingredients on hand in bulk to make your own sidewalk chalk. You can make typical sticks, or use other silicone molds for fun shapes. Wouldn’t they make a cute party favor – homemade chalk?
Make Your Own Sidewalk Chalk
Make your very own sidewalk chalk! Using washable paint, make your own colors or add things like glitter and glow-in-the-dark paint to see what happens.
- 1 Cup pottery plaster
- 3/4 Cup water
- Washable tempera paint
- Rectangle silicone mold (or any silicone mold for fun shapes)
- Glass measuring cup
- 4 Plastic disposable cups
- Stir sticks (large wooden popsicle sticks, plastic spoons, paint stirrers, anything will work)
1. In a glass measuring cup, mix together your water and pottery plaster until your potter plaster is dissolved
2. Separate your mix into your 4 cups
3. Add a tablespoon of paint (color of choice) to each cup and mix well
4. Pour your liquid chalk into each mold and let dry for 24 hours
5.Press up on the bottom of your silicone mold to pop your chalk right out
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is a great activity to do on a rainy day so that once the sidewalks are dry the next day, everyone can go out and try out their new chalk! Make your chalk while it’s raining, let dry, then go out and decorate the sidewalks and driveways with fun drawings, games, and words of encouragement!
This post contains affiliate links that help support the site and bringing you more fun content!