I have tried several ways to contain the NERF stuff. The guns themselves, the magazines, the darts, the accessories… it always ends up piled up on my dining table, left on the stairs, or laid against the wall of the living room. Every day it’s been like this and it got to the point where I just couldn’t take it anymore and we tried using a large, shallow bin under the bed. It worked… but only when they actually took the stuff upstairs and put it in there. So, back to everything being piled up and just left wherever.
Then the oldest bought himself a 200 pack of darts and those started to get left behind. Can you imagine? Darts in the yard, in the house, in the neighbor’s yards… we were constantly telling them to go out and clean them up.
So, we needed a solution and I wanted something cool at least if the NERF gear is going to be out. We ended up with this, for just about $55, and let’s just say everyone loves it!
- Drywall screws
- Vinyl spacers (to go behind the pegboard so it's not flush against the wall)
- Pegboard hooks, baskets, etc to customize your boards
- Start by figuring out where your pegboard is going to go and that it fits.
- Place pegboard against wall and mark with a pencil where your screws will go. Use a level to ensure your boards are straight.
- Pre-drill your holes for the drywall screws, then use the screwdriver to install the drywall screw
- Before screwing the boards in place, place a vinyl spacer (ours were about half an inch thick) behind the board where the screw will go and screw in place (do not tighten yet).
- Make sure your spacers are in place (see why we didn't tighten yet? You'll need a little give to get the spacers behind the board)
- Tighten screws in place and repeat with all sections of pegboard.
- Collect all NERF guns and configure your hooks to fit the guns you have. This may require some creative layouts, or just hanging by the trigger, etc. to make them fit.
- Add baskets to hold darts, balls, etc. and enjoy!
We purchased everything at Lowe's. The pegboard was already this size, but you can ask them about cutting it to fit your space.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The boys (and Haley) love this new space SO much! She was in on it and helped with it, but it was a surprise for the boys. It doesn’t take a lot of time – the hardest part being trying to get all of the guns to fit! If you have a need for NERF gun storage, then definitely consider this project!