Halloween does not have to mean tons and tons of sugar. In fact, I’m kind of dreading all of the sugar and sticky messes. Now, I know I contradict myself with these Chocolate Covered Banana Mummies… but at least the banana is healthy, right? And look how cute they are! Pop them in the fridge and they are a cool, spooky treat!
- 2 - 12 oz. bags of Wilton white chocolate candy melts
- 4-5 medium size bananas, cut in half
- Wilton candy sticks – get the thicker sticks as the light ones will not support the weight of the chocolate and bananas.
- Wilton small googly eyes
- cookie sheet
- small sandwich baggie
- Insert one candy stick into the base of each banana about 2” - enough to hold up the banana without completely going through it. Place the bananas on a cookie sheet or a large plate and freeze for one hour.
- In a shallow microwave safe dish heat the white chocolate candy melts in 30 second increments stirring every 30 seconds until melted. My microwave takes about 2 ½ – 3 minutes for every 12 oz. of chocolate. I also recommend only melting 12 oz. at a time.
- Allow the chocolate to cool 2-3 minutes before dipping your bananas.
- Remove the bananas from the freezer and dip them one at a time in the chocolate completely covering them. Use a small spoon to help coat the banana. Lay them on the cookie sheet and use a butter knife to smooth out the chocolate if needed. They do not have to be perfect.
- Next, give the banana 2 candy eyes. If the chocolate has already started to set, simply add a drop of the melted chocolate to each candy eye and place on the banana.
- Repeat with all the bananas.
- Once all the bananas are covered in chocolate set them back into the freezer for 10 minutes. This will allow the bananas to stay firm and the chocolate to fully set.
- Scoop the remaining chocolate into the sandwich baggie and make a small snip in the corner. Remove the bananas from the freezer and squeeze the chocolate out of the baggie and onto the bananas starting at the top and working your way to the bottom. It doesn't have to be perfect. Mine kind of rolled into each other when I went to set them back in the freezer. Oops!!
- Repeat with all your bananas and then place back into the freezer to set.
- *If you have extra chocolate and bananas feel free to re-heat and melt the leftover chocolate following the directions above.
- If not serving immediately keep the mummies in the freezer as thawed bananas get super mushy. Serve directly from the freezer, cold.
*1 Chocolate Covered Banana = 1 Serving
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase using one of my links, I receive a small kickback to keep this site running!