Who doesn’t love a good cupcake? This recipe will make 18 Banana Rum Cupcakes with a cinnamon frosting and caramel drizzle and no decorating skills are needed as the flavors alone are sure to wow! Try not to eat all of the frosting, okay?
These cupcakes are easy and impressive, so they make a great edible gift if you like to bake for others.
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon spiced rum
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
For the Cinnamon Frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- Store-bought Caramel Sauce
- Preheat to 375-degrees and prepare your muffin pans with paper liners. (You’ll need about 18)
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt – set aside.
- In another bowl, cream together the butter and sugar, then add the eggs and beat until light and fluffy.
- The riper the bananas, the sweeter they are – mash the bananas and stir them into the mixture. Add the rum, vanilla and milk and mix well. Stir in the flour mixture, a little at a time, stirring to combine before adding more.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups and bake for 18 -20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Turn the cupcakes out onto a wire rack to finish coloring.
- While the cupcakes cool, take the cream cheese and butter out of the refrigerator and let them come to room temperature. When you’re ready to begin, add the cream cheese and butter, to a large mixing bowl. Add the cinnamon, vanilla, rum and confectioners' sugar and beat at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate for 10 minutes before frosting the cooled cupcakes.
- Store cupcakes in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before serving (about 10 minutes out of the fridge). Drizzle the frosted cupcakes with the store-bought caramel sauce and refrigerate so that the frosting and caramel set up. Serve chilled.
Note: For a non-alcoholic version, substitute rum extract.
Makes about 18 cupcakes. Store left overs in the refrigerator.