I don’t think there’s been a summer where we haven’t pulled out the chalk to practically cover the sidewalk in its colors. At first there were just scribbles as the kids learned how to draw lines and shapes. Over the years, the chalk drawings have evolved and now include shapes, names, people, flowers, hop scotch and more. Now they try to trace each other as they lay on the sidewalk (like a crime scene, you know what I mean) and wipe their chalky hands all over their clothes. Sidewalk chalk is such an easy outdoor activity for kids, and with this recipe, you can keep the ingredients on hand in bulk to make your own sidewalk chalk. You can make typical sticks, or use other silicone mold for fun shapes. Wouldn’t they make a cute party favor – homemade chalk?
Make Your Own Sidewalk Chalk
1. In a glass measuring cup, mix together your water and pottery plaster until your potter plaster is dissolved
2. Separate your mix into your 4 cups
3. Add a tablespoon of paint (color of choice) to each cup and mix well
4. Pour your liquid chalk into each mold and let dry for 24 hours
5. Press up on the bottom of your silicone mold to pop your chalk right out
This is a great activity to do on a rainy day so that once the sidewalks are dry the next day, everyone can go out and try out their new chalk!
This post contains affiliate links that help support the site and bringing you more fun content!